Understanding IDI (now Research IT Services)
UC San Diego has a number of digital infrastructure departments: campus IT Services, Calit2, The Library, San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), and many divisional and departmental teams, that deliver a variety of top-of-the-line services. Each has critical expertise, but it can be difficult for faculty to find the right package of services to meet their needs.
Integrated Digital Infrastructure (IDI) was developed to improve delivery of these services and help guide faculty to new, high-end IT opportunities. IDI services include:
- A digital technology advisory service to guide you to the right services to meet your research and instructional needs
- Support for Digital Research Platforms that employ new digital technology in the research lab and in the classroom and lead the way for the UCSD community. Featured is an expanded Research Data Library for the preservation and sharing of curated UC San Diego digital assets like research data sets.
In January 2016, the IDI Digital Technology Resource Advisory was brought into the campus IT Services department as part of the new Research IT Services group. The new group offers the same consulting services, facilitating access to resources from IT Services and external technology groups and service offerings.
The IDI Management Team (2014-16)
- Larry Smarr, Director
- Jeff Henry, ACMS
- Michael Norman, SDSC
- Ramesh Rao, Calit2's Qualcomm Institute
- Brian Schottlaender, The Library
The IDI Implementation Team
- Tom DeFanti, co-Program Manager
- Valerie Polichar, co-Program Manager
- Wade Blomgren
- Declan Fleming
- David Hutches
- Joseph Keefe
- David Minor
- Claire Mizumoto
- Philip Papadopoulos
- Jerry Wanetick
Contact IDI/Research IT Services